Top 10 No Cost Steps You Can Do This Summer
1. Turn up your cooling system’s thermostat to 75–78°F. Don’t pay to keep your
furniture cool — raise it even more when no one is home.
2. Perform a do-it-yourself energy audit. You can request a print version or
perform your audit on-line at www.energyright.com.
3. Lower your water heater temperature to 120°F and reduce hot water use by
taking shorter showers and using cold water for laundry whenever possible.
4. Turn off lights, televisions and other appliances when not in use.
Use the “sleep mode” on computers.
5. Remove and recycle your second refrigerator.
6. Keep curtains closed on the south, east and west sides of the house during
the day to help keep cool.
7. Clean refrigerator coils and set the temperature to 36° to 39°F and the
freezer to 0° to 5°F.
8. Use the microwave; it cooks faster and doesn’t create as much heat as
a stove burner.
9. Air-dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher’s heat drying option.
10. Run your dishwasher and clothes washer only when full.